I wanted this for the longest time….oh you don’t know how long. KL/PJ don’t really make chilli dogs, oh sure you have A&W but they are not what I want to eat for hot dogs. I had to plan this dish for some time because I will admit that the ingredients and condiments involved are quite hefty. Well, I am super-preggers after all, if this is not the time to indulge in food then people better not get in my way coz I would be super-grumpy.
I don’t really know if there is a particular recipe for this because a lot of the accompaniments are based on personal preference but just to share with you what I wanted to go with my chilli dogs. A chilli dog needs to have chilli meat sauce of course. And I made some onion mayo from scratch and also pickled onions because I wasn’t sure which one would I like (I ended up using both, anyways ). My chilli dogs also need sweet relish (which was jar bought), mustard, cheese and chips on the side. Not fries but the crumbly chips.
It was YUMMMMAY!!! I don’t know but the slow-cooker really intensified the chilli sauce and made it thick and gooey like how it should be. My only peeve was that the buns I used were a bit flat. I should’ve have gotten proper, thick buns and not the generic, supermarket brands. Don’t worry if you have a lot of chilli meat sauce left. It can used for many other things like tacos or toss it in some pasta and it would taste good. Also, I have to note that I didn’t use jalapenos in my chilli which would have made it nicer with that kick. The thing is, here they sell jalapenos by the box instead of weight. So, if I have to buy them it would 8 or 6 altogether. I wouldn’t know what to do with the rest before they rot. I made poppers before but its level of heat was too much for me or hubster to handle. I used dried chillies instead but if you dislike both altogether, go for cayenne powder. I also left out the kidney beans that’s normal with chilli coz hubster not a big fan.
I suggest to get all your condiments and meat sauce ready first. So if you need recipes to the onion mayo and pickled onions, you can click on the link below the photos.
CHILLI MEAT SAUCE RECIPE
(adapted from sweetpeachef)
300 gms minced beef
1 large red onion (or use white), chopped
1 large green pepper or capsicum, de-seeded, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 whole 130 gms glass bottle Heinz ketchup
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
3-4 dried chillies (optional)
1/4 cup water (more or less)
1. I used my slow-cooker to make this meat sauce because I wanted to take a nap. But using the stove is perfectly fine, the timing will be shorter.
2. Chop the onions, garlic and green pepper into fine pieces. I used my food processor to do this because I need the slicer to make my pickled onions and onion mayo anyway.
3. Sautee the onions first in olive oil till it’s fragrant, then add the pepper and garlic and sautee till the pepper has somewhat soften. Place it all in the slow-cooker.
4. Brown the minced beef in olive oil. Place them in the slow-cooker along with the onions.
5. Pour all the sauce mixture into the slow-cooker and add the water.
6. Mix everything together and cook it on ‘high’ for 2-3 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning. Let it continue to cook on ‘Low’ if you’re not having your meal yet.
**I cooked the sausages in the meat mixture to save time and dishes. Just dunk it into the slow-cooker during the last 30 mins of low setting.
Sausages (chicken or beef)
Hot dog buns
Chilli meat sauce
Medium grated cheddar cheese
1. Butter your bread. Toast it in the oven.
2. Spread onion mayo on the top, inner side.
3. Place the cooked sausage on the other side.
4. Squeeze mustard on the sausage.
5. Spread some sweet relish on the mayo side.
6. Squeeze both sides shut. Scoop meat sauce all over the dog.
7. Put some cheese on top.
8. Eat with preferred accompaniments! (chips and pickled onions)
Or do it however you like it, it’s not like I have THE answer to chilli dog assembly 101.
Now that this craving has been satisfied….I’m on to the NEXT one. On a side note, do remember to take part in the Malaysian Food Fest, MFF. This month is Melaka month, hosted by Cindy of yummylittlecooks.