I don’t know who came up with this idea that chocolate goes with bananas. But whoever originated this idea, I salute you. This muffin, to me, is like THE fail-safe muffin to bake when you’re first starting out your hands at baking. If anything goes wrong, this is less wastage compared to a cake. But, I only make this because every once in a while when I buy a bunch of bananas, there would be two or three that snuck past the edible date. The recipe is simple and super-easy…and fuss level, barely there.
Having muffins around can leave you with this calming effect. It’s a reminder to stop….stop thinking, stop doing, stop talking, texting, typing or tweeting and just enjoy a moment of solitude, eating your muffin with a hot beverage. I think this scenario is best described through one of my favourite books and movie;
Oscar Wilde (The Importance of Being Earnest)
Jack: How can you sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless.
Algernon: Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.”
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS RECIPE
Yields about 9 muffins
2 overripe bananas mashed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons plain yoghurt
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Line your muffin tray with muffin cups. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Mix your dry ingredients together; flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in one bowl.
2. Mix your wet ingredients together; mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, yoghurt and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
3. Pour your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, incorporate with a spatula and mix thoroughly with a hand-held mixer.
4. Pour in your chocolate chips and incorporate with a spatula.
5. Scoop batter into muffin cups. Bake in oven for about 20 – 30 mins or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the muffins.